Home » List Of Flowers That You Should Keep Away From Your Furry Friends

List Of Flowers That You Should Keep Away From Your Furry Friends

by D F

Remember that this is a list of popular flowers dangerous to pets, not an exhaustive list of all toxic plants and flowers. Double-check first if you’re buying a new plant or delivering a bouquet to a home with pets.  To keep your pet safe from dangerous flowers, store your vase on a high shelf or in a different room where your pet can’t get to it.


Lilies are commonly used in landscaping and as cut flowers. They are poisonous to cats but not to dogs or horses. Any portion of the plant might cause kidney issues. A cat can suffer severe renal problems if it goes through a lily garden and then ingests pollen while grooming its fur.

Anemone Flower 

Anemones bloom from early May to late June. They are frequently found in hilly settings and come in various shapes and sizes. The most common poisonous varieties are white, and only a small amount is required to kill a dog. They are exceedingly dangerous and must be avoided at all costs.


Hyacinths, like tulips, contain allergic lactones. Drooling, vomiting, and diarrhea might occur after eating a hyacinth bulb. More severe symptoms, such as an increase in heart rate, strong tremors, changes in respiration, and difficulty breathing, might occur if you consume a significant amount.


Mums have large, rich heads that are occasionally made up of many little flower heads. If your dog or cat consumes a chrysanthemum, they may have vomiting, diarrhea, incoordination, skin problems, and excessive salivation.


Lycorine, an alkaloid with significant emetic effects, is found in these flowers. The bulb, plant, or flower can induce severe vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and possibly cardiac rhythms or respiratory depression if consumed. Crystals, similar to hyacinths, are discovered on the outer layer of the bulbs, causing significant tissue irritation and subsequent drooling. Daffodil ingestions can cause more severe symptoms, so you should seek veterinary care for additional support if you see an exposure or notice symptoms.


If you have a friend who keeps fresh flowers online in a vase daily, it is partially filled with these gorgeous, ruffled flowers. Although they are not dangerous, they can give your cat a lot of discomforts and, if left untreated, can lead to more serious complications. Although all plant parts are poisonous to cats, the bulbs are the most harmful.


Hibiscus is generally non-toxic to pets, but the Rose of Sharon is a species of hibiscus that can be detrimental to your pet. If a dog consumes a substantial amount of this hibiscus flower, nausea, diarrhea, and vomiting may occur. No one knows why some species of hibiscus are hazardous to dogs while others are not. The blooms and stems of this hibiscus are harmful to cats.

Castor Bean 

The castor oil plant may be something we all enjoy seeing in public parks because of its stunning leaves, but we must avoid planting it in our own homes. This is because the castor plant’s stems are poisonous to our beloved pets.


These Disney-esque, enchanted-looking flowers may be the perfect little hats for pixies. Still, they are deadly to both cats and dogs, causing weakness, vomiting, diarrhea, and even heart collapse if consumed. They’re good for pixies, but keep them out of the reach of your pets.


Tulips are among the most popular plants for springtime planting and indoor floral displays, and make excellent online order flowers idea; but they can be problematic for curious canines. The bloom and stem are poisonous, and the bulbs are considerably more so. Diarrhea, vomiting, excessive salivation, and mood fluctuations are all signs of consumption. Tulips are lovely and a sure sign that spring has arrived, but if there is a dog on the premises, it’s best to err on the side of caution.

The Yew 

Although the yew is more of a shrub than a flower, it blooms in the spring and grows into the summer. It’s one of the more toxic flowers, with lethal side effects if eaten. Dogs are known to eat extremely toxic seeds, bulbs, and leaves. A modest amount of this herb can be fatal, stopping the heart instantly.

You may also like

Leave a Comment